1) I am a person who gets very enthusiastic about something or totally despondant, there is no happy medium.
2) My wonderful wife Maggie, who I met at a local nightclub and have remained married to for 22 years keeps me focused on the things that really matter.
3) I have a real problem remembering birthdays, and important dates, my mother, sisters and wife are supposed to tip me off a couple of days before and they haven’t been doing this lately.
4) I hate being late.
5) Left to my own devices I would alternate my time between my garden, my usual “rock related explorations”, travel and writing.
6) I have a few good friends and like it that way.
7) Idle chatter for the sake of noise is most tedious to me, if there is little of substance to say, dont bother saying anything at all.
8) Politically I am all over the map, I have views that tend to either end of the spectrum, some days I scream for public hangings, other days, life in jail or just a good flogging would be sufficient.
9) I used to work as a foreman of a shipping crew in a busy factory, I dont really enjoy telling people what to do, nor do I enjoy harassing them (contrary to popular belief) but I do like to set goals and work toward accomplishing them. I resent anyone standing in the way.
10) I was debarred from University for partying too much, I hardly attended a class at all during my second year but proudly managed a 50% in some classes???
11) I returned to University while working in my factory job and managed to finish my degree by studying as I worked. Thankfully my foreman was sympathetic to my goals. I addended correspondance at several Southern Ontario Universities.
12) I had been under the impression that a degree guaranteed the recipient a classy job, it turned out not to be the case and I was a little disappointed when I found myself still working in the same factory six months later. Opportunity soon came knocking and I opened the door and have never looked back. I am a firm believer now that education is never wasted (wish I came to that opinion sooner)
13) I studied gemmology with the Canadian gemmological Institute in Toronto, not because I thought that it would make me rich but because i loved the subject. I am now qualified as a professional gemmologist and professional diamond grader (by education not profession).
14) Strange how life flip flops around. I had once thought that I wanted to be a soilder. I had started out on a trial basis with the Canadian army as a cadet in Germany. It seemed a little tame so I joined the British Infantry. Now that was an experience that I wont soon forget.
15) I have a scar on my forehead that I got when I was in a tank crash. This particular vehicle, a Leopard A3 main battle tank bottomed out in a shell crater at about 60 kilometres an hour and I head butted the gunnery site in front. The only person left concious was the driver and he reversed out and kept driving. I fainted shortly thereafter and recall seeing my legs sliding toward this hatch that opened and closed depending on the turret position. Was sure that I was gonna loose my legs but as you might notice on my blog, I still have them.
16) I served three years in the Queen’s Regiment (1st Battallion) having been moved onto active service as soon as I passed out of basic training. It was quite a shock after highschool in Edmonton just six months before.
17) dont speak to me in the morning, I take a long time to wake up.
18) I am a ravenous collector of books. I have an entire room in the basement devoted to books, my study is packed solid and they are all around my bed in piles. Maggie says we have enough but I keep secretly buying more and hoarding them in a dispersed way so that she wont notice.
19) I AM A TERRIBLE PROCRASTINATOR.
20) My grammar and writing are pretty bad, when I was 9 or ten they told my parents that I should have to attend special classes for people whose writing is totally unreadable.
21) I used to be the class clown. I took great delight in coming into the class soaking wet after having fallen through the ice in the nearby stream (grade six). My friends and I used to like jumping on a particular patch of ice until somebody fell through. The water was waist deep and because I was the heaviest I was always the one who fell through. I also used to like telling jokes that only I found funny and then I would laugh at them myself and tell another or make one up on the spur of the moment. The teacher said I was very imature. In retrospect, it was grade six. Im am not sure what she was expecting, I just enjoyed myself and just because it was not her idea of fun, didn’t mean it wasn’t fun.
22) If I seem a little confused when I meet you its probably because I dont remember your name – Dont be insulted, I dont remember anyone’s name.
23) My best ideas all come while I am soaking in the tub. My book, Rockwatching; Adventures above and below Ontario” was almost completely written from the bath tub.
24) My car is an absolute pigsty, it reeks of wet dog and the back seat is totally filled with empty Tim Horton’s cups and old donut bags.
25) I have been scared of the dentist ever since childhood and am unable to shake the fear. Just sitting in the chair brings a sweat out on my palms.
26) I am not so good at housework but fortunatly Maggie is. This leads to a lot of cruel and hurtful accusation.
27) My kids usually have to help me with my computer problems, i am not so technically adept but am getting better.
28) Left to my own devices I will eat until I explode. I have to resist endless snacking on a day off and try to keep myself on a strict diet over the week.
29) My theory – don’t ever turn an opportunity down. Looks like I have some pretty significant challenges.
30) One of my colleagues pointed out – I like to dangerous things safely – well I’m in the right place for that.
31) My third book is now in print – “Caving in Ontario; exploring Buried Karst”. It reveals the odd and secretive world of caving. Fortunately it is an unfinished story as the caving saga just continues.
32) I presently work as a training manager in a large industrial facility.